Poppy for Windows
Current version is 5.9.1
Click here to download Poppy for Windows.
Click here for the companion screensaver.
Click here to see the release history.
Click here to see the screenshots.
What is Poppy?
Poppy for Windows is a small utility that you can use on your Windows PC. It will notify you when you have mail waiting on the POP3 server of your Internet provider (or Internet providers). Poppy can check multiple POP3 servers and check for new messages at regular time intervals.
Poppy needs a working internet connection and is typically used in combination with an ‘always on’ internet connection, such as a cable or DSL connection. It can be used with a dial-up connection, but that is not very effective.
Once you have started Poppy, you will see an icon in the so-called system tray or taskbar notification area. When Poppy detects that mail is available on any of the configured POP3 servers, it will let you know by changing the taskbar icon. Optionally, Poppy can also play a sound, execute an external program (like your e-mail program) or show a popup window containing a notification message.
In addition to it’s main purpose, which is e-mail notification, it can also display the headers of individual e-mail messages, preview the e-mail message source and delete individual messages from the POP3 server.
The dialog that is used to display the headers of e-mail messages, uses selection rule to determine which e-mail messages should be selected. Once these messages are selected, you can delete them from the POP3 server. The selection rules are configured using the Options dialog. This feature is especially helpfull when you receive SPAM messages that you quickly want to delete from the POP3 server.
What are the features?
A design goal of Poppy was to keep it as simple as possible. Only the most essential features were added to Poppy to make it easy to use without all kinds of bells and whistles. This approach also contributes to the fact that Poppy is small and will not interfere with your day to day work.
Initially, the only purpose of Poppy was e-mail notification. Since the introduction of version 4.x of Poppy. I decided to add more advanced features. Poppy is still very small however and the new features do not interfere with it's main purpose, which is still be e-mail notification.
Here is a list of the features of Poppy:
- Checks multiple POP3 accounts for new mail.
- Uses the taskbar icon to indicate that mail is waiting.
- A configurable interval between checks of the POP3 account.
- A a convenient popup menu to reach all functions and configuration.
- Play a sound when new mail has arrived on any account.
- Play a different sound for each account.
- Execute an external program when new mail has arrived.
- Show a non-interfering popup window when new mail has arrived.
- Automatically hide the popup window, without user intervention.
- Always notify or only when new mail has arrived.
- Always notify or only when mail from a friend has arrived.
- Dialog to display 'From' address and subject of each message.
- View the headers of an e-mail message.
- Preview the source of an e-mail message.
- Delete e-mail messages from POP3 servers.
- Select and/or unselect messages based on selection rules.
- Only notify based on the selection rules.
- Check e-mail headers against an anti-SPAM DNS blacklist.
- Option to automatically delete SPAM messages
- It is small and easy to use.
- Support for POP3 servers that use SSL (like GMail).
This program is freeware, but please consider making a donation to support future development.